Crispy Calamari with Spiced Kerala Vinaigrette and Poha
- 1 lb. squid, sliced into rings, ¼” thick
- 2 cups chickpea flour
- 1 Tbsp. coriander seeds
- 1 Tbsp. cumin seeds (crushed)
- 1 tsp. red chili pepper flakes
- 5 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 liters grape seed oil for frying
- Pour grape seed oil into a heavy large saucepan so that the oil is about 3 inches deep. Heat over medium-high heat to 350 degrees F.
- Combine chickpea flour and spices in a blender with ¾ cup of water. Add cilantro and lemon juice and blend to make batter. Evenly coat squid with batter and in small batches carefully add squid to oil and fry until golden brown and crisp, about 1 minute.
- Using slotted spoon or mesh strainer, drain fried calamari on paper towels.
Recipe Credit: Chef Jehangir Mehta
Published with author permission. All rights reserved.