Beignet with Vanilla Pastry Cream and Sesame Halva -Dessert Bar
- 225 g whole milk
- 175 g heavy cream
- 125 g granulated sugar
- Vanilla seeds from 1 large plump vanilla bean
- 20 g gelatin powder (optional, for frying)
- 1 g salt
- 425 g egg yolks
- Preheat a circulating water-bath to 80 Celsius/ 176 Fahrenheit.
- Combine the milk, cream, sugar, gelatin and vanilla seeds, and salt and warm until the sugar has dissolved and gelatin has bloomed.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Divide the egg yolks equally amongst 2 pint sized mason jars.
- Place in the water bath and cook for 45 minutes. It will look slightly lumpy but that’s normal.
- Hand blend the cooked egg yolks with the milk and cream mixture until smooth and pour into a sprayed baking sheet lined with wax paper.
- Refrigerate until set, about 2 hours.
- Cut into 1.5 inch squares, coat with desired batter and fry.
Recipe Credit: Chef Maxime Bilet
Published with permission of the author. All rights reserved.