Aromatic Onion and Coconut Gravy
Makes 10 standard portions
- 1.3 kg sweet onions, shaved on a mandolin
- 200 g coconut cream
- 0.3% of total weight solids, baking soda
- 1.5 g Nigella seeds
- .15% of total liquid Xanthan Gum (TIC Gums)
- 25 g coconut cream powder
- Coconut vinegar to taste
- Red Boat Fish Sauce to taste
- Salt to taste
- Make the onion gravy. Combine the sliced onions, baking soda, coconut milk and nigella seeds in a pressure cooker. Bring to 15 psi over medium heat, at which point you will count 45 minutes of cooking time. Strain the broth and weigh.
- Chicken. Blend in the correct amount of xanthan (0.15 g for every 100g of liquid) until well emulsified and creamy. Season and set aside.
- Season. Blend in the coconut cream powder and season with the vinegar, fish sauce and salt.
Recipe Credit: Chef Maxime Bilet
Published with permission of the author. All rights reserved.